HISTORY OF THE FLORALA PUBLIC LIBRARY
In 1906, ladies with a literary turn, organized the first Study Club in Southeast Alabama, the History Club, which soon affiliated with the Alabama Federation of Women’s Clubs. Its first president was Mrs. Sam H. Williams. In 1919 the Community Club was organized for civic betterment and it also affiliated with the Alabama Federation. Its first president was Mrs. D. T. Williamson. In the early years of this growing town a number of civic-minded women banded together into a civic league and did valiant work. Chief among these ladies was Mrs. Dora Whitcomb. The Study Club was organized in 1918 and affiliated with the Alabama Federation in 1919. Its first president was Mrs. Winnie Shepherd. One of the chief aims of this club was the establishment of a city library. In 1934 Miss Juliette Hughes, Mrs. Frank Petrey and Mrs. T. C. Smith, all club members, organized the City Library. It was operated for many years upstairs in the Hughes Building on the square until a new, modern building was built in 1969, with a capacity of 10,000 books.
Florala Public Library, serving an area of 6,416 residents, has a collection of 18,251 books and periodicals; in addition, there are 287 audiobook CDs, and 1,619 DVDs . The library has 7 Internet Terminals and wireless internet available for public use.